Information for finders
1. You are only entitled to a reward for finding a lost item if:
- The item found is worth at least €50.
- You are not an employee of the Fraport AG or any of the companies contracted to clean indoor or outdoor areas or transportation facilities or vehicles at the airport.
- After finding the item, you have not failed, either intentionally or as a result of gross negligence, to turn it in to the Lost & Found Office.
- You have not previously waived your entitlement to a reward.
2. For items worth up to €500, the reward is equal to 2.5% of their value. For more valuable items, 1.5% of the amount exceeding €500 is added. For example, you would be rewarded with €2.50 for an object valued at €100, but €14 for one worth €600 (2.5% of €500 plus 1.5% of €100). A special rule applies to animals, for which the reward is equal to 1.5% of their total value.
3. During the first three years after the finding of an item is publicly announced, you may only demand a reward from the owner if he or she has already retrieved the item. If this is the case, Fraport AG will let you know the owner's address so you can request the reward from them.
4. If a found item is not picked up by its loser within three years, ownership of it passes to Fraport AG. We will notify you accordingly. At your request, we will then transfer the reward to your bank account. Under no circumstances will you be allowed to keep the item in question.
We hope we have been of service to you by providing you with the information given above and thank you for your attention on behalf of the loser of such property.
Information for owners
Items found are stored for three months and then sold. Exceptions are perishable goods, such as foodstuffs, which are immediately disposed of. Found items can be collected personally at the lost & found office after paying an administration fee during business hours. To collect an item, you will need:
- a valid photo ID,
- the date on which it was lost, and
- a precise description or proof of ownership.
You can also someone else to collect your lost item. To do so, that person also needs to take along a power of attorney or fax it to us.
If it is not possible for you to collect your lost belongings, we can send them to you within Germany or to most other countries using our parcel service if they are not worth more than €500. For more valuable items, please hire a package service of your choice.
When returning any lost and found item to its legitimate owner, we are required to inform the finder of the owner's name and address so that the finder can claim any applicable finder's reward from the owner.