Here is some information that will help you smoothly catch your ongoing flight at Frankfurt Airport.
Arrival at Frankfurt Airport: For up-to-the-minute information on your connecting flight, please consult one of the monitor screens located around the airport. If no gate has been assigned yet, head for the indicated pier. Then follow the blue signs to the gate while keeping the walking times displayed in mind. Gray signs show the way to passenger services.
Transit passengers who must change between Piers A and B (in Terminal 1) may use the passenger tunnel. If you need to transfer between Pier A, B, C, or Z (in Terminal 1) and Pier D or E (in Terminal 2), follow the signs to the SkyLine train, which departs every two or three minutes, or take one of the shuttle buses that circulate between the terminals.
Do you already have a boarding pass for your connecting flight?
- If yes: Please consult one of the monitors to double check the assigned gate.
- If not: Within the transit zone, please go to a transfer desk of the airline that is operating your flight or proceed straight to the departure gate, where you can obtain your boarding pass at the desk. In the pre-security part of the airport, please go to your airline’s check-in counter.
If you are in a hurry to catch a connecting flight at Frankfurt Airport, you can take a shortcut to get to your gate faster. The fast lanes at the security checkpoint may be used on a priority basis by passengers whose flight is listed on the display.
- Information kiosks: Simply scan your boarding pass, and all relevant information on your connecting flight is displayed.
- Information counters: Our multilingual service staff are happy to help you.
- Mobile Service Guides: You can identify them by their red uniforms.
In most cases, your checked luggage will be automatically forwarded to your final destination. If not, you must pick it up at the baggage claim and then recheck it.
In most cases, you must clear security checks on your way through the airport. Please allow enough time for them. Also please observe the restrictions on carrying liquids and gels into the aircraft cabin.
Please note that you may not carry liquids bought in duty free shops at airports outside the EU when flying from Frankfurt Airport. This also applies to any duty-free items that you have bought on board a non-EU airline.
Whether or not you must clear a passport check depends on whether the airport you have arrived from and your destination are within or outside the Schengen Area.
- You are arriving from and are heading for an airport within the Schengen Area: Usually there is no ID check.
- You are arriving from a Schengen country and are traveling to a non-Schengen country: You will probably have to clear a passport check. Depending on your nationality, you may require a transit visa. If in doubt, please contact an embassy or consulate of your country.
- You are arriving from outside the Schengen Area and your destination is in a non-Schengen country: Usually no passport check is mandatory, provided that that you do not leave the transit zone. Depending on your nationality, you may require a transit visa. If in doubt, please contact an embassy or consulate of your country.
- You are arriving from an airport in a non-Schengen country and are traveling to a destination within the Schengen Area: You will probably have to clear a border check. Depending on your nationality, you may require a transit visa. If in doubt, please contact an embassy or consulate of your country.